New pictures.
One of my fellow travelmates on the Rights Action delegation is a Ms. Pei-Ju Wang who took the follow beautiful photos.
You remember Reginaldo, the guy who's bag I took a picture of. Here he is in his kitchen the afternoon his family provided lunch for us. Reginaldo's head was grazed by a bullet when a micro van full of community leaders was assaulted last September, all related to the death of Aldolfo Ich and the mining and the problems and the impunity and the...and the...
Reginaldo's house, Lote 9. Lote 9 is a community on mining private property but for whatever reason they actually have a title to their land, although in the official land registry in Guatemala City, the title has been ripped out and its whereabouts are under investigation.
Lote 8. I like this picture because it captures some of the intensity in the men and in their experience. This community was violently evicted twice from their land and now lives about an hour away into the mountains only reachable by foot.
Housing in the disputed land areas in El Estor.
Pei-Ju also took some amazing photos in Guatemala City, something I never think to do because I think I have somewhat jaded eyes and I never think to bring a camera.
The picture appears somewhat small but the man is holding a Burger King cup. The postings in the background are of "the disappeared" and a social justice-related film showing. Zone 1 can be a pretty tough 'hood, although all over Guatemala City there are people living on the streets. Being homeless is always dangerous, but Guate City is a nightmare. Just blocks to the south of where this photo was taken is a notoriously violent area. In fact, it is the place where I first saw a dead body, thrown out of a hotel before the police showed up.
All in the Parque Central....
All photos by Pei-Ju Wang, 2010.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment