It's about that time again.
Time to bathe. Time to avoid electrocution.
Aside from that I finally got out of the house this morning. I've been so wrecked these past few days with a nasty cold. But this morning I headed out with my friend Maria's house as a destination, which means I pass by pretty much everyone else on the way.
First I ducked into Catalina's house/tienda and said, Hey what's up, and explained that I'd been sick, couped up in the house with gripe (a cold) and unable to visit until now. She actually looked a little pissed off that I hadn't called her so that she could bring me food, medicine, and a visit. Oh riiiight, I thought, my bad. I really should have done that. Then Cata continued to tell me that in Concepcion people look out for one another and there's no reason anyone should be sick or hungry alone, especially someone like me who has amigos. Then I explained to her I felt bad for not calling, sorry, and next time I'll make sure to call.
After Cata's I went down the road and saw Andres the fry-guy and I explained the same thing - sorry I haven't visited, I've been sick, but I got here last Thursday. He looked concerned and confirmed with me that I'd be by again to get some fries. Si, si por supuesto!
Maria wasn't actually home. So then I went to mail two letters. Orlando is the mail guy and one of my students from Peace Corps days. He's now married (to another one of my ex-students) and has a kid. Orlando is, apparently, really, really, really evangelical. He doesn't drop his dios palabras on me, but apparently he does to everyone else. I'm totally fine with that. I mailed my letters and he had a package for me. Surprise, surprise! It was from two of my friends up at New Mexico State. Awww! What a treat.
So huffing and puffing a bit, still feeling my cold symptoms, I went by Nehemias' house, who also wasn't home. Then up to Luciano's house. His mother made me really salty eggs, as usual, a plate of tortillas and a cup of sugary instant coffee. This meal has become as comforting and familiar to me as a soy mocha in a Seattle coffee shop. I chatted up the family for a bit, got news that newly married older sister Ana is already 7 months pregnant. I get that for them it's good news, but I was pretty bummed. I think the next sister of 16 years of age, Maria, is on her way to a similar destiny. Maria was a very special little girl to me back when I lived here. Her name is Maria Soledad... what a name. I pictured her being a writer or something. Well she graduated from 6th grade last year, barely, and has no interest in studying any more. That makes me sad, but there's nothing I can do about it. I've already made it clear to the whole family that anyone who wants to go to school can and I will find the scholarships (aka I'll pay for it). So far only Luciano has been able to take me up on it, the oldest brother, and I have a feeling that the girls of the house aren't going to be included. I think their dad is hesitant about even Luciano studying further, and not in agreement about any girls going to school. So... that sucks. Well they are all getting bigger but they are still skinny, small for their ages.
As I left, the mom was coming up the path back to the house. She speaks like no Spanish. She says to me in Popti', You are leaving, and I respond, Ho' Chinto han b'ey... mi casa (I can say "I'm going to" but I forgot how to say "my house") ...and she laughs and I tell her I'll see her soon, Chijil kob'a and she says, Chijil kob'a seño. She's pretty much the only person I really know in Concepcion that doesn't speak Spanish - and I only know her because of her son Luciano and the other siblings who were my little buddies during Peace Corps days. There are so many women and elderly folks in town who I don't know because of the language barrier, and because they don't leave the house. Hard to meet people that way. But this lady is so sweet and kind, and it's noted in her children, too. A really wonderful, gentle and humble family.
Then I hit up the farmacia owned by one of my old students' dad, Adan. My student, Maria, works there and it's pretty reliable that I find her there. She loves to talk and gossip a bit. She filled me in on any gossip pertaining to me, thanks Maria. Then started to tell me of her own things to think about. Some guy in town has asked her to marry him. This is a big deal. She related whether or not to marry him based on the fact he has a house. Because she had another boyfriend for a long time but, among other problems, he had no house. Meaning he had not yet constructed his own house for a family. Here, boys are in a mad rush to build their own house - or otherwise obtain a house - in order to get married. You can't marry a girl if you don't have a house. So Maria sits in the farmacia everyday thinking about her decision, she keeps this kid waiting - it's been a month since he asked - and says she'll let him know in about 2 weeks. So chill about it! But she was asking me what I thought about it all so we talked about respect, understanding, trust, being friends with your mate, and all that.
There's a house on the way to my school where the little kids always call me "gringa." I don't know anyone, or at least I don't think I do, at this house and, like I said, it's mostly really little kids. But for years, when I pass, it's usually where I get a "gringa!!!" - I actually don't get that very often because people know my name. Well today, as I passed the house, I was thinking about that and sure enough the little girl goes:
"Gringa!"
And then - for the first time ever - she asks, Como te llamas? or What's your name?
And I responded...
"Gringa"
I didn't even think about it, but I just solidified another eternity of being called "gringa."
~~~~
Today in my mail from my friends up at school, a postcard was enclosed with this on the front, from a group called Syracuse Cultural Workers and I really liked it:
How to Build Global Community
• Think of no one as “them”
• Don’t confuse your comfort with your safety
• Talk to strangers
• Imagine other cultures through their poetry and novels
• Listen to music you don’t understand
• Dance to it
• Act locally
• Notice the workings of power and privilege in your culture
• Question consumption
• Know how your lettuce and coffee are grown: wake up and smell the exploitation
• Look for fair trade and union labels
• Help build economies from the bottom up
• Acquire few needs
• Learn a second (or third) language
• Visit people, places, and cultures – not tourist attractions
• Learn people’s history
• Re-define progress
• Know physical and political geography
• Play games from other cultures
• Watch films with subtitles
• Know your heritage
• Honor everyone’s holidays
• Look at the moon and imagine someone else, somewhere else, looking at it, too
• Read the UN’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights
• Understand the global economy in terms of people, land and water
• Know where your bank banks
• Never believe you have a right to anyone else's resources
• Refuse to wear corporate logos: defy corporate domination
• Question military/corporate connections
• Don’t confuse money with wealth, or time with money
• Have a pen/email pal
• Honor indigenous cultures
• Judge governance by how well it meets all people’s needs
• Be skeptical about what you read
• Eat adventurously
• Enjoy vegetables, beans and grains in your diet
• Choose curiosity over certainty
• Know where your water comes from and where your wastes go
• Pledge allegiance to the earth: question nationalism
• Think South, Central and North – there are many Americans
• Assume that many others share your dreams
• Know that no one is silent though many are not heard. Work to change this.
0 comments:
Post a Comment