Ya. Another one hecho.
My students left this morning at 4:30. They were in high spirits wearing all the tacky gringo stuff they'd acquired in Antigua the day before. It's always sad, no matter how tired and ready-for-it-to-be-over I am, because they are sweet, brave, young souls who not only put up with me for 6 weeks but were able to do what few folks do, let alone teenagers, but embrace the unknown, challenge themselves, meet people in a new language and just push. Push and push... up mountains, through city streets, down mountains, through cornfield paths and, in the end, find that people live everywhere, that the world is made up of varieties of folks like their best friends, parents and teachers, but maybe they are fisherman, farmers, teenage indigenous girls, activists, Australians, or earn $4 a day.
During our final ceremony last night everyone said what they admired about everyone else. When it was my turn the students said the usual... masking my dislike for "BS" by saying, You keep it real and You are passionate. Haaa. Yeah, I handed down the law a few times with some "Listen up guys!" and "Hey, pay attention!" but it was always when we were about to listen to someone's life. I may go down in history as a bit of a tough cookie, but that's ok. I did laugh until I cried the other night because after a rather long independent study project presentation, when my student asked "Are there any more questions?" I immediately and abruptly said, NO. Everyone laughed, I think, because they were thinking the same.
And of course, like the end of every course every year, I feel really alone when they are gone. No one is following me, I don't have to order 10 of everything, I don't have to write down my expenditures, I actually feel more "invisible" hahaha which is saying a lot since I'm a big tattooed Gringa in chaparrito-ville.
I have a few days to finish my summer reports and prepare for my project teaching in Concepcion for the last 2 weeks of August. In 4 days I fly to Portland, OR to visit my dear friend who just gave birth to a baby girl, then drive out to Sandpoint for my favorite brother's wedding. I'm looking forward to the time... even though it's only 4 days total.
And it's been so great to see Norma since I got home to Pachaj this afternoon. I wish I could hang around longer...
0 comments:
Post a Comment