Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Ah, sweet.

This afternoon we came down into Xela (oh yeah I'm back in Xela now) from Pachaj, sweet dusty sunny Pachaj, and meet up with a girl who has one of my books. I left my book this summer at this one place with a Peace Corps volunteer who gave it to this girl nearer to Xela so that I could coordinate to get it when I'm in town. Anyway, today I finally got my beloved book back. It is called Rescuing Our Memory about refugee populations of Guatemala during the war.

Well then I went to the grocery store to buy the necesities like spinach, chips and stuffing (they have stuffing!!) and as I was checking out I put the book down. This lady came up to me and said, Can I see your book? She flipped through it and made a comment about how this publisher puts out really important works. Then she touched my hand and said, Thank you for being interested in the true history of my country. I've never had a Guatemalan tell me that before. I got goosebumps and my eyes watered, she was so sweet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Number of visitors since 5/16/10

Followers