Secrets and scams.
I was such a hater on Antigua before, only seeing it for cheesy hostels and fancy chocolates (a place to drop money and trip on the cobblestones). Well now I kinda get it, I mean it's lovely here. This town is filled with ruins that sorta blend in to really old churches and classic colonial architecture. Some days I pass nuns and monks hustling (haha, hustling) between churches and everyone does a sign of the cross when passing a church (even if it is a church in ruins). And everyday seeing sunny skies and big volcanoes is amazing. People are really friendly and don't seem to be offended by my tattooed, preg-o self walking with my obviously Guatemalan baby daddy.
And, as I've commented before, I am so boring here, no one seems to notice or care I'm a foreigner, well at least they don't say anything. It's such a relief and never gets old. Maybe the growing preg-o belly is helping with that. I mean dudes don't cat-call pregnant women, right?
Everything, the basics: water, gas, garbage pickup, religious calendars, are all offered door-to-door here. Gone are the days of hauling jugs of purified water from the next town over (ahem, Concepcion). So the other day the Salvavidas truck goes by, the purified water company, and Andres goes out to replace our empty jug. The truck guy asks where we bought our water, when Andres says the tienda down the road, the truck guy is like, You best not be doin' that cuz that ain't real agua pura. When Andres tells me this I'm like, Pshaw whatever. I mean the jug we buy from the tienda says "Agua Pura Salvavidas" and has the plastic seal. Well we got water from the "real" guy and I was still unconvinced. So next time we go to the tienda and I realize that although the water jugs say Salvavidas they are in fact sealed with a different plastic seal - one that says "Guaranteed" and not "Salvavidas" like it should. I was like (whining in my head), They can't do that!! And then I stopped myself and was like, Uh yeah they can. To be sure we went back home, closed our eyes and did taste tests with the new Salvavidas water and what was left of our "scam" water. Both of us insisted the "scam" water was Salvavidas - meaning we couldn't tell the difference.
Then the other day walking from the bus stop we noticed a little tienda of people in surgical masks filling "Salvavidas" jugs with water. Hmmmmm........
Well there were just gun shots out in the street and then an ambulance sound so Andres went up on the roof to see what's up. No word yet.
Yesterday was kind of a big day. We purchased a stroller. I know. Whoa. See, it was on sale and we woulda had to bring it from Guatemala City anyway, so we went ahead and just bought it then. Then of course we couldn't help set it up. Then of course we couldn't help but joke about pushing Norma around in it. I don't know if it is bad luck necessarily to buy stuff so early, but I feel like I already need to slow down. After the stroller and a gender-neutral onesie we found in the paca. Don't wanna get too ahead-a myself.
So turns out some man was just shot three times in the head on our corner... Uh... it's like 4 in the afternoon. Sorry, this is a weird post.
0 comments:
Post a Comment