Guatemama.
Two amazing women.
The loving, humble and hard-working Doña Esperanza.
I was thinking about Doña Esperanza recently, Jose's mama (the migrant kid I met in '09 working with No More Deaths and whose family I now visit down here in Guatemala - the banana community). Bananas grow in the "harshest human conditions" according to a book I read on banana republics in Central America. And it's true, while Venecia (where Esperanza and family live), is on the Pacific coast, beach side even, it's no picnic. It's soooo hot and humid all the time, tons of mosquitoes, very undeveloped, the ocean is very rough, they are prone to flooding. But I was thinking of Doña Esperanza the other day because not only did she grow up there but she had 7 kids there, including a pair of twin girls. During her 6 pregnancies she never had a toilet, just a hole, and no icy treats. Every time I get up in the middle of the night these days and head to the bathroom and I am thankful for the toilet bowl and the fact that it is close by and inside the house. I have lots of purified water, vitamins, icy treats, I eat often. But Doña E, man, I can't imagine the quirks and discomfort of pregnancy in Venecia... while also cooking, sleeping on wooden slats, washing clothes daily, etc.

Doña Cata. Photo by Andres.
Then there's my own mother-in-law, Doña Cata. Also giving birth to 7 kids, 6 surviving, during the worst years of Guatemala's 36 years of civil war. When she should have been able to build her home, garden, care for her amazing kiddos, she was fleeing her village, living a few years as a refugee in Mexico, and dealing with doosey of a husband (3 extramarital kids). The minute I met Doña Cata, before she was my suegra and before I was in love with her son, I liked her. She is a woman of few words, doesn't like to dance and makes me laugh. These days her 6 kids are pretty much grown and on their own. She lives in a very hot, humid, tropical climate as well, and for most of her life without electricity (they just got electricity again in Xalbal in January after 3 years of being without because the whole town was against the policies of the utility company). Doña Cata raises animals, tends to her tiendita, and has a molino, a corn grinder where neighbors come to grind their corn for tortillas, tamales, etc. She never learned to read or speak Spanish. What she does know has been self-taught over the years; her kids helped her set up her little store with a little notebook to keep track of sales using some basic math. Anyway, I think she is awesome.
They are both awesome women.
They are both awesome women.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment