Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday.

I guess I'm a pretty big "Guatemala" nerd. It's sorta my favorite subject. Everyday I am baffled, enthralled, shocked and humbled by this place without fail. If anyone has time, I recommend this article in the Economist, here, about Central America. I think in the US there is a lot of fear of the violence in Mexico, but really Central America is much more violent. Murder rates in Guatemala are higher now than during their civil war, same goes for El Salvador. They are higher than Mexico, which sports drug cartel massacres every week it seems. The Economist article also mentions this year's elections in Guatemala, which are sure to suck. Which bad apple will be president this time? I could obviously go on (and on) about all the bad news in this part of the world, but I'll spare ya. It's no secret!

Today I walked maybe 3 miles for cheese. It was totally worth it. While not using a car is mildly inconvenient at this juncture, it sure is good for getting me outside and moving. When some food-object strikes my fancy I either have to walk a few miles to get it or feel really bad about making Andres walk a few miles and get it. Then I feel bad because I shouldn't be so lazy, so I end up going myself, accompanied by Andres. Then thanking myself later for the exercise.

Last night I brought peanut butter cookies to Any, my fried chicken neighbor. She was really happy about the cookies. Her Spanish is faster than what I like so when she went off about wearing a "vest" to protect my "milk" from the "cold" I was like, huh? Some breastfeeding tips I guess. Any works at least three jobs that I know of: nurse, seamstress and fried chicken dealer. So when baby arrives and we know the gender she said she'd sew us up some nice baby clothes. She seems like a really hard worker. When we said our goodbyes at her doorstep, we turned and walked away, then we heard another "goodbye and thank you!"

Anyone know any good Guatemalans that could run for president? Someone who is not legally barred from running? Not trained in the School of the Americas? Doesn't wear too much eyeliner?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Number of visitors since 5/16/10

Followers