Noise & being a mama in public.
Our trip to Guate City was really good. And I knew it would be because when I got in the Cruiser and turned on the radio the announcer said, And now "Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi... and I was like yessss.
The workshop was very useful. It was run by this gal who has this business, Lomas Natural, with her Chilean hubs (hence the Guate-Chile connection) and they sell natural parenting/birth stuffs and do workshops on things of that nature. Their babywearing thingies are made in Chile, fair trade, etc. We got a Mei Tai-style carrier, which is pretty slick.
Driving in Guatemala City is nuts, though. I like to be really nice because people need a break. No one lets anyone in, you get honked at right when the light turns green, there are no lanes at some places, and apparently no cars in this country come with turn signals?! So I like to signal like crazy, let people in and stay away from the buses. There are no emissions requirements here so the buses are terrible to get stuck behind, huge billowing puffs of the blackest smoke. Thank goodness my truck is so big. It would be a little scarier in a VW Rabbit or something like that.
At the workshop I was, of course, the only foreigner (well except for the Chilean papa!) and there were about 6 other ladies with babies. Everyone thought Arlo was 3 months old. One lady had a 10-1/2 lb 3-month old... Arlo is 12-1/2 at 6 weeks :) I guess he's a pretty big boy.
I wasn't sure what to do if Arlo got fussy - it's hard being in public sometimes. I wasn't sure what the protocol was on breastfeeding so I waited til someone else went first. This one lady finally feeds her little girl and puts this blanket over her baby and over her shoulders - so I thought, ok, be conservative. Then I tried to put a stupid blanket over my shoulders and be all nonchalant. I was kinda bummed because I was hoping to be around others and just whip it out. Well turns out that first lady was the only prude, for lack of a better word, and as soon as I realized everyone else was just gonna do their thing, then I followed suit.
I was nervous to try to carry Arlo, even though we brought 2 carriers we already have to practice, which is the whole idea of the workshop. I find both carriers we have to be sorta awkward, or maybe I'm awkward. This whole thing (me wanting to learn how to baby-wear) started because Andres' mom carries Arlo all the time on her back in a traditional rebozo and it looks so easy and Arlo loves it. I thought it would be easier but it hasn't been. I think I just need to practice more. Even Andres has the knack of the Moby wrap down and I just feel like I make Arlo cry or I get physically tired too quick (maybe it was the postpartum stuff).
Anyway, I was the tall, awkward, gringa watching everyone else try carriers while Andres took Arlo outside to walk around because he was fussy. I knew I wanted to get a Mei Tai because it looks much easier to use than other styles. I figured, Get a Mei Tai and try it at home. I guess I'm shy or something. So we are about to leave and Viana, the workshop lady, was like, So you're gonna carry your baby out NOT in a carrier? And I was like, Well es que... because Arlo was crying and I figured let's just get the heck out of here. Turns out he needed a diaper change - duh - and then he was cool again. So Viana offered to help us use a carrier and I said, Well I guess we gotta do in on Andres because I'm driving. She taught him how to Moby-wrap in a much easier and efficient way. I was still feeling left out. I mean what's the point of wrapping us up for a 2 block walk if we gotta take it off so I can drive? But I'm glad Andres is getting the hang of it.
I left the workshop feeling super tired, hungry and sorta stressed. I know all babies cry and it's ok, it doesn't mean I'm a bad mama or Arlo hates me, I know, but I often feel that way. I definitely have bouts of "what the heck am I doing?" and "man, I suck at this" but I know that's a normal feeling. I try not to be so hard on myself.
Today is Saturday and as always there's an obnoxious amount of noise coming from the Salon de Eventos just over our back wall. It started around noon today with very, very, very loud music. So loud the windows shook, the floor vibrated. I couldn't take it anymore because I knew there was no event yet and it was probably just a couple of dudes playing with the sound board. So I grabbed my keys and said, "I'm going to talk to them" - much to the surprise of Andres. A typical Guatemalan would never go over there to complain. Anyway, I went around the block, walked right into the building, right up to the three stooges at the sound board and told them the windows in my house are shaking and I have a newborn crying (although Arlo didn't cry, he doesn't seem to be bothered) and while I realize I live next to an event hall while there is no event actually taking place can they please turn down the music? Yeah, sure ok, they said. When I got back to the house Andres' mom was like, What'd they say? What'd they say? - Like so amazed I went over there. However, the event has started and our windows are again vibrating and I can feel the bass in my brain... uUugggguguhhh..... it's been 4 hours and going strong...
Arlo today....
0 comments:
Post a Comment