A Hard Morning's Work
This morning I earned my keep by spending about three hours washing all the clothes I've dirtied up since arriving about two weeks ago (two weeks ago!) Washed dog also pictured. I like to go up and stare at my work... the clothes sparkling in the sunlight... sparkling because there is still soap on them.I ran out of soap after a little bit and decided to take a jaunt to the tienda for soap and some other stuff. I pass a house with a mean dog who I named Gary, but already has a name: motocierra or chainsaw. So I pass Gary the Chainsaw (picture forthcoming) and also a tienda with a guy who always looks like he has something to say. Turns out today was the day. I walked by and said Buenos dias and he replied and added a quick Como estas? Which, in my opinion, is like a Spanish pop quiz. Your ability to respond without hesitation is a reflection of your entire Spanish speaking ability. Haa. Well this Como estas? was the type I kind of dread. It is the Como estas? that opens up a can of English-speaking worms. Sure 'nuff my new friend Emilio wanted to whip out his English and boy did he. From what I could understand (sorry, Emilio) he lived in the US for 10 years: Houston, Florida, Meech-igan. Actually, of course, he is a really nice guy and I was happy to talk with him. Especially because I was riveted by his uncanny Russian accent. I'm not just whipping out a general stereotype about foreign accents on the English language, this comes from teaching English in Ukraine oh back in '06. Emilio sounded just like one of my beloved Ukrainian students. Amazing!
Once I broke free (sorry, Emilio) I reached the tienda of all tiendas (well, the closest one to the house that sells things besides candy and instant soup) where I tried to really crack a smile (or something) from the usually stoic tienda lady (technical term). I tried to get her going at first with not just a Buenos dias but a quickly added Como esta usted? Oh boy did she perk up (in tienda lady fashion, more like hello at church rather than Christmas morning excitement). Anyway, I dropped a smooth 40 quetzales (like $5) on eggs, laundry soap, 7up, tortillas, 2 cans of beans. While tienda lady was grabbing all my tienda booty another lady came up between me and an older man that was waiting for a glass bottle of Coca-Cola. Coca-Cola man got a kick out my acquisition of the staples (beans & tortillas) and made the eat symbol (backwards wave at the mouth) and said, You gonna eat lunch? And of course I responded in full be-my-friend enthusiasm and said, I'm cookin fer the whole gang! Chuckle, chuckle from Coke man. The other lady showed up and gave similar approval to my tortilla purchase and advised me not to carry the tortillas in my costal, they would be much safer in my hand. I don't know why exactly, but I really appreciated her comment.
Anyway, it's midterms now so I have a bunch of homework and stuff to be doing. No more messing around and spending 3 hours washing clothes!
Let's have another look at the cleanest dog in Olintepeque!
0 comments:
Post a Comment