Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Hugo Boss.

A Xela street
Walking to the bus stop

This morning I finally went out to go see the health clinic NGO where I intend(ed) to volunteer. I took the usual micro out to (there are no real street names observed, just landmarks so go with me here) the Paiz and looked for where buses to Tierra Colorada Baja leave, as it was described to me by dear Armando over in Pachaj (a much-loved Dragons contact in a nearby aldea). Sure 'nuff, good directions! And after a short wait, a 50 centavo bag of Quesitos and a bottle of water, the bus came. Buses, as many reading this right now may know, are ...um... uncomfortable. Especially if you are over 5'2". As a gargantuan human being in Guatemala, bus rides kinda hurt. Also size has its advantages (more on that later).

The clinic is about 20 minutes out of town on unpaved roads through dusty little 'hoods of adobe houses and farmland. After I started staring off deep into space, the ayudante all of about 15 years old, said "hey lady get off here," in nicer words. It was the clinic. All the foreigners get off here. To make a long story short and not that interesting, the education program at the clinic was not what I had in mind. Not to sound like a jerk (ok, maybe a little) but it was like the kindergarten of Peace Corps. My desire to get my hands dirty and interact with people is based on living in the middle of nowhere for two years, so traipsing around a bunch-a gringos learning Spanish under the auspices of health education just sounds boring. It's hard to not sound snobby-pants here, but I need more. Plus, this NGO has a bunch of volunteers (who pay $250 to volunteer!) and, well, I think I can be more useful elsewhere. Not to mention I sat there for two hours today waiting for the illustrious director to show up and talk to me, which never happened. After 20 minutes had passed when she finally acknowledged me and gave me my "give me 2 minutes" warning, I just hopped the next bus outta town. Meh.

This will allow me to focus more on my plans for my Peace Corps town where I'll be doing my MPH thesis this year anyway. More on that at some point...

Here are some reasons why being here is fun (there are many):

1. Hopping the next bus outta town!

2. I got ice cream today and while I was being scooped for I noticed an old man just chillin in the shop. I paid little attention until he passed me a note. Totally! This little white piece of paper he slid along the counter to me. It was so deliberate and I was the only one there! It read: HUGO BOSS

Yes!

3. After my delicious Hugo Boss ice cream situation I took another micro out of downtown to near-Paiz for a bus to my 'hood. Usually there is a bus. This time I had to wait quite awhile... then came 2 buses. And there were tons of people now waiting for this bus. I negotiated the crowd a bit trying to figure out the bus-grabbing psychology of this half-a block of Guatemalans (all sweating with sweaters on)... should I go for the first one thinking everyone will go for the second, or go for the second cuz everyone will just charge the first. I opted for a strategic location to where I anticipated the second bus to pull up, as I kept my eye on both buses coming from a few blocks away still. Yes! Success! Everyone charged the first bus. But then it became apparent that there were a bunch of people who first had to get off the first bus. So then the mob swamped my position waiting for the second bus. I decided I had no option but to fight. I was at least, at the very least, an entire head taller than everyone else. Yes I sorta elbowed a little girl. Yes a lady sorta looked at me surprised at my equal determination for a seat. Of course I kept it within cultural standards, no excessive force, but being assertive. I got the last open seat cuz I know how to play the game! Hahaha. Size is good sometimes. I consider strategic use of size here to be in accordance with maintaining good karma... like my summer experience with my Dragons students in Concepcion: Basketball, we always win. Soccer, we always lose.

4. There is a sign in my neighborhood that says, This property is not for sale... For information call.... I mean if it is not for sale then....? It makes me laugh every time.

5. Norma officially prefers tortillas over Milk Bones.

1 comments:

Becca said...

COLLEEN!!! ive been catching up on the blog and its so wonderful to read about your fabulous adventures. HUGO BOSS! so wonderful. shoving little girls to get the last seat while maintaining cultural sensitivity! so wonderful. you!!!! SO WONDERFUL!!!!!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Number of visitors since 5/16/10

Followers