Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I heart this lake.

Lake Peten Itza is the best. Juancho, my co-instructor, said it best... We were sitting today on the island of Flores - in the middle of Lake Peten Itza - with ice cream cones in our hands, and he said: With ice cream and a view like this it's hard to believe we are "working." And all I could say back was, I love working.

True, being a Dragons instructor has it's benefits. But there are also those other moments where I'm like... what the... but things are starting to settle into their ways this summer. The group is getting along well, maybe a little too well but that's another issue, and I'm starting to have some fun. As the director of Dragons said to us before we took off into the field, If you're not having fun you're doing something wrong. I like a boss that says that.


Best lake.


Me and my cutie student group. On the right with the mustache and beard - that's Juancho.


An ocelot rescued by ARCAS, used to be kept as a pet, now this lil one has vision problems due to poor health because of how she was kept and will never live again in the wild. ARCAS is an NGO near Flores that keeps animals captured from being trafficked illegally or kept as pets. They had 2 ocelots, parrots, and spider monkeys. Sometimes they even have jaguars. It was so heartbreaking to see these animals here because, although rescued, most are far too damaged and sick to ever survive in the wild again.


Next door neighbor's roof.


My "pila" or place of washing.

My house (room).


The dock at San Andres, the town we are staying in at the moment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Number of visitors since 5/16/10

Followers